HAPPY ALMOST HALLOWEEN!!! I am so excited for today. From today through 10/31 I am participating in the blog giveaway hop sponsored by I Am A Reader Not A Writer and The Diary of a Bookworm. With nearly 400 blogs participating, there are literally TONS of books and bookish things being given away.
For this giveaway, I thought I’d give away my favorite NEW find!
WHERE THINGS COME BACK by John Corey Whaley
Entering is easy. Just follow my blog in some way and leave a comment! Easy Peasy!!! Contest ends 10/31 as is open to the US only.
For more giveaway fun, check out the other blogs participating , click over to the I’m a Reader Not a Writer blog and go crazy!
Way to have some fun…Yes???
HAPPY SEPTEMBER!!! I am so excited for today. From today through 9/7 I am participating in the blog giveaway hop sponsored by I Am A Reader Not A Writer and Buried In Books. With over 300 blogs participating, there are literally TONS of books and bookish things being given away.
For this giveaway, I thought I’d give away some copies of my favorite reads for gifted kids, written specifically FOR KIDS!
The Smart Teens Guide to Living with Intensity
The Gifted Teen Survival Guide (revised)
101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids
Entering is easy. Just follow my blog in some way and leave a comment! Easy Peasy!!! Contest ends 9/7 as is open to the US only.
Way to have some fun…Yes???
Welcome to the official launch Party for 101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids: The Ultimate Guide. This book features literally 101 tips about life for kids. In honor of the advice throughout the book, April is filled with amazing guest posts here on my blog, all answering one simple question:
Some of the peeps answering include Holly Cupala, Beth Revis, Lisa and Laura Roecker, Michelle Zink, Gretchen McNeil, Lisa Rivero and so so so many more! It will truly be an epic month. And to spice things up, I will doing a giveaway EVERY FRIDAY in April, choosing one random commenter from the week. The prize – a cool swag pack featuring bookmarks, note pads, and more.
Pretty great yeah???
Today I’m featuring the amazing ELANA JOHNSON, Author of POSSESSION (in stores June 8, 2011), who posted her answer over on her blog. Go check it out, and grab the graphic if you want in on the action and post your own advice. Be sure to tell me if you do, and I’ll enter YOU in my comment contest too.
But that’s not all that’s in store this month! Nope. There will also be a contest on my FB page (so go and like the page), a twitter chat next week, book signings, a scavenger hunt of sorts, and an epic Blog Tour in May. This is truly NOT TO BE MISSED.
Oh! And the BIG THING….An EPIC COMMENT CONTEST giveaway from now through the end of the blog tour. I’ll be choosing 10 commenters at random, choosing them from every post related to the launch (here and on other blogs) throughout April and the Blog Tour in May. And the prizes? Check it out:
- 7 random commenters will get Swag prize bundles that include bookmarks, magnets, magazines for kids, t-shirts, notepads, art supplies to make your own Friendship Cards and a few other surprises.
- 1 will get the swag bundle + a signed copy of 101 Success Secrets
- 1 will get the swag bundle + signed copies of BOTH 101 Success Secrets AND Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students + a 30 page critique
- The GRAND PRIZE for one lucky commenter – the swag bundle, the signed copies of the books, the crit AND a $50 AMAZON Gift Card.
WOO HOO!!! So, join the party. Leave comments – lots of them. And let’s celebrate the early release of 101 Success Secrets!
Whew, what a fabulous launch day. You guys were all so amazingly supportive and I am thrilled! I am keeping the party going through Oct 15, so be sure to keep stopping by for fab chances to win everything from book swag to 30 minute consultations with me re gifted stuff and 10 page crits. WOO HOO!!! I love parties!
For today, I wanted to give you a brief overview of the amazing #gtchat yesterday and throw in another little contest for some great swag and a little surprise.
First off, I need to thank Deborah Mersino for hosting #gtchat. The session was fast and furious (check out the transcript). And for my friends that I KNOW were lurking, thanks! I felt your good vibes through the interwebz.
The chat started off with a rapid firing of questions. Most of them had to do with dealing with the more explosive nature of emotional intensity and how to manage it.
So I thought I’d give a few tips here.
The best time to deal with a behavioral explosion is before it ever happens. These few things can really help prevent most behavioral outbursts:
- Set a strong foundation that includes good communication and boundaries
- Work with the child to develop an emotional vocabulary and cuing system to alert the child when their behavior is slipping
- Work with the child on ways to relax and descalate
Sometimes explosions still happen. Here are some ideas on managing it safely.
- Don’t get hooked into the drama
- Using a calm voice, clearly state what you require of the child
- Make sure the child is safe
- Give YOURSELF a time away if needed to avoid getting hooked
This is the time to regroup and reteach.
- Debrief with the child – going over what went wrong in terms of the child’s behavioral control
- Remember that explosions are opportunities to reteach the behavior you want
- Discuss the consequences
- Deliver the consequence
This is a very bried overview, but you get the general idea. My book, Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students has more detail on ways to handle each part of the escaltion cycle.
Now, on to the fun stuff….a little contest
Leave a comment on THIS post and you can win the following:
- sticky notes
- a couple of great magazines related to giftedness from Prufrock Press
- and….Either a 10-page crit by me OR a 30-min consult on anything related to giftedness.
Cool? I hope so,
- Leave a comment
- If you tweet or spread the love, tell me and you get 1 extra entry for each thing you do
The contest runs for a week. I’ll announce the winner next Sat.
So, tell me – what do YOU do to manage emotional intensity – yours or your kids???