Yes, there have been a million posts on first lines of a novel…but, for whatever reason I was compelled to look at this. Maybe it’s because I have been rewriting the opening pages of my MS this week…maybe it is something else. But, I wanted to look at a selection of opening lines and get your opinion…would you read the rest of the story?
1) “Coraline discovered the door alittle while after they moved into the house”
2) “All our attempts at subterfuge had been in vain.”
3) “Janie Hannagan’s math book slips from her fingers.”
4) “When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.”
5) “When, suddenly, on an ordinary Wednesday, it seemed to Barney that the world tilted and ran downhill in all directions, he knew he was about to be haunted again.”
6) “Most people outgrow their nightmares – but not me.”
I personally thought these opening lines would make me curious enough to keep reading…but would you?
Rachelle Gardner wrote a nice post on this topic a while back…check it out for her advice on writing the opening lines of your novel.
In the meantime, let’s have a little contest…
Leave me a comment as to whether or not these opening lines speak to you and make you want to read on. Tell me why you enjoyed them as well. I will randomly select a winner and announce it on Friday. What will you win… books of course (you can pick of the books these lines were taking from or a gift card)
THE CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED….WINNER TO BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY!!!
Good Luck and let me know what you think of these!!!