The other day I was speaking with a non-writer friend of mine. He asked about my current WiP and I was saying that my crit partners were busy shredding it. That lead to a conversation about critiquing in general.
At the end of the conversation, my friend asked “So, why do you do it? I mean, you spend hours and hours reading other people’s manuscripts – on top of the writing you do for yourself and your job. You don’t get paid to read that stuff…so why do you do it?”
As I answered him it occurred to me that writers are an amazing group – generous and kind and really into paying it forward. You see, my answer to my friend was that I read and critique because of the following:
- It makes me a better writer
- It helps another writer perfect their craft
- I get to meet some of the coolest people in the world
- I love the power of a good story
- I need people to read for me…and they have always been generous with their time. It is the least I can do…help them and help others.
What motivates you? Why are you so generous with your time?