I am a newbie to writing…I started about 18 mos ago and have gotten brilliant advice, tips and help from the writers I have met along this journey.
Here is a list of my top 5 pieces of advice I’ve gotten this year.
- Read, read, and read some more. And not just in the genre you write. The more good books you read, the better you write (from Cassandra Clare)
- Act like a professional writer from the beginning. (from my Blog Chain mate, Sandra)
- Read your stories out loud (or use a text to voice app). (from another Blog Chain mate, Kat)
- To become a better writer, you must write! (from my HS creative writing teacher way back when)
- Always remember these rules for writing practice: Keep your hand moving (in other words…don’t stop until your writing time is over); Lose control (or keep that inner editor quiet as you write); Be specific (show, don’t tell); Don’t think (another way to keep the editor out of the way until revisions); Don’t worry about the mechanics (that is for revisions); Feel free to write te WORST junk EV.ER; Go for the jugular (if something scary happens, step into that fear) – ((all taken from Natalie Goldberg’s Wild Mild)
There you have it – some of my fav advice.
Your turn…what is the best piece of advice you have received?
This is the last post until next week. I wish all of you a happy and healthy holiday. Merry Christmas!